Jayapura – President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) does not want to talk much about efforts to free Susi Air pilot Captain Philip Mark Mehrtens who was taken hostage by the Armed Criminal Group (KKB). What is certain, said Jokowi, was that all measures were taken to free the pilot from New Zealand.
“We really don’t want to talk much because we can’t convey our efforts to the public. We use all angles, all tactics so that the efforts we make will really produce something in the end,” Jokowi said.
Nevertheless, Jokowi did not want to reveal what moves the Indonesian government was taking.
“But I can’t say because that’s an effort, there are underground efforts, as well as efforts on the ground,” he added.
Previously reported, Papua Police Chief Inspector General Mathius Fakhiri confirmed that the KKB led by Egianus Kogoya had never asked for a ransom of Rp. 5 billion for the release of Susi Air pilot Captain Philip Mark Mehrtens.
Mathius Fakhiri explained that when the Susi Air pilot was taken hostage on February 7, he asked the Nduga Regional Government to provide funds if an armed group demanded ransom for the pilot’s release.
However, it was later discovered that until now the armed terrorist group has never asked for a ransom.
“Until now the negotiation process with armed groups is still being pursued by involving the local government, community leaders and the Egianus Kogoya family,” he said in Jayapura, Monday (10/7/2023).


