YAHUKIMO, Papua Highlands – The joint team of the Yahukimo Police and the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026 continues to develop law enforcement efforts in the murder case of the late Bripka Anumerta Fredy Lukas Awes, a member of the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz, who was killed on July 20, 2026, on Jalan Pertanian, Dekai District, Yahukimo Regency.
The case is being handled based on Police Report Number LP/A/28/VII/2026/SPKT/POLRES YAHUKIMO/POLDA PAPUA, dated July 21, 2026. Since the incident, investigators have conducted a series of investigative measures, including gathering information, examining witnesses, conducting field inquiries, and processing the crime scene.
Head of Public Relation of the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026, Chief Commissioner of Police Yusuf Sutejo, S.I.K., M.T., when met by the media on August 20, explained that the handling of the case had been carried out gradually until investigators obtained sufficient grounds to identify individuals suspected of being involved.
“The investigation into this case began with the incident on July 20, 2026. Since then, the team has conducted investigations, gathered information and witness statements, processed the crime scene, and carried out further field inquiries. The results of these efforts were subsequently discussed during a case review to determine the next legal steps,” said the Head of Public Relation of the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026.
“On August 18, 2026, the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz together with the Yahukimo Police conducted a case review. Based on witness examinations, field investigations, and evidence obtained, investigators identified five individuals as suspects who were to be arrested, namely R.M., A.U., M.P., W.G., and R.A.U. alias A.U.,” he explained.
“The case review was conducted after the team developed information, witness statements, and field investigation findings. Based on this process, investigators identified five suspects for arrest. Every legal action is carried out based on facts and evidence obtained while adhering to applicable laws and regulations,” said the Head of Public Relation of the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026.
Furthermore, the Head of Public Relation explained that one day after the suspects were identified, on August 19, 2026, joint personnel from the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz and the Yahukimo Police conducted a search for the suspects. The team subsequently obtained information regarding the whereabouts of R.M. (18) and successfully secured him together with D.M. (56), his parent, on Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Dekai.
“R.M. and D.M. were subsequently taken to the Yahukimo Police Headquarters for questioning. During the examination, D.M. stated that he was unaware of his child’s involvement in the murder case. Meanwhile, further questioning of R.M. provided information regarding the whereabouts of several other suspects,” he said.
“From the examination of R.M., investigators obtained information regarding the whereabouts of other suspects. This information was subsequently developed to determine the location and the next law enforcement measures,” added the Head of Public Relation of the Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026.
“Based on the results of the examination, on Thursday, August 20, 2026, at approximately 5:16 a.m. local time, the joint team proceeded to a boarding house in the Jalan Gunung area of Dekai City. At the location, officers successfully secured A.U. and M.P. for questioning and further examination,” explained the Head of Public Relation.
During the investigation, the two suspects provided information regarding the whereabouts of two other suspects, namely W.G. and R.A.U. alias A.U. The team subsequently took A.U. and M.P. to identify the location in question.
“However, while en route, A.U. and M.P. resisted the officers and attempted to escape by jumping from the vehicle toward the forest. After being warned, both continued attempting to flee. Officers then took firm and measured police action, which resulted in both suspects being killed,” stated Chief Commissioner of Police Yusuf Sutejo.
During the incident, A.U. and M.P. sustained gunshot wounds and died. Both were subsequently evacuated to Dekai Regional General Hospital for further examination before being handed over to their respective families.
Meanwhile, W.G. and R.A.U. alias A.U. have been placed on the Wanted Persons List (DPO) and remain targets of the joint team’s search and pursuit.
Chief Commissioner of Police Yusuf Sutejo, S.I.K., M.T., emphasized that investigators are continuing to develop the case to establish the role of each suspect and uncover the entire sequence of events.
“Based on the examination results, the five suspects are believed to have carried out the action jointly, targeting security personnel. However, investigators are continuing to examine the individual role of each person based on the statements and evidence available,” he stressed.
In this case, investigators have applied Article 459 in conjunction with Article 20 letter c of Law Number 1 of 2023 concerning the Criminal Code (KUHP), relating to premeditated murder and joint participation in a criminal offense. The application of these provisions is part of the ongoing investigation and may be adjusted based on the development of evidence and further examination results. Under these provisions, the offense carries a maximum penalty of death, life imprisonment, or imprisonment for a maximum of 20 years.
Head of Peace Operation Cartenz 2026, Inspector General of Police Dr. Faizal Ramadhani, S.Sos., S.I.K., M.H., emphasized that all law enforcement efforts would continue to be conducted professionally and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
“Our focus is to uncover this case comprehensively, ensure that all parties involved are held accountable in accordance with the law, and provide legal certainty based on valid evidence. We also urge the public to remain calm and not be provoked by unverified information,” said the Head of Peace Operation Cartenz 2026.
“Based on the development of the investigation, the five suspects are believed to be members of the KKB Kodap III Ndugama Derakma Battalion Wesem, led by Nabianus. Based on information obtained during the examination process, the five suspects are suspected of acting jointly, with security personnel as their target,” he added.
The Task Force Operation Peace Cartenz 2026 urges the public, particularly in Yahukimo Regency, to maintain security and public order and to allow the law enforcement process to be handled by the authorized authorities.


