Timika – TNI Commander Admiral Yudo Margono has decided to increase the status of operations against the Armed Criminal Group (KKB) in Papua to a ground combat alert.
This step was taken by Yudo following the attack carried out by the KKB on a number of TNI personnel and killing Private Private Miftahul Arifin on Saturday (15/4).
“Of course with conditions like this, especially in certain areas we will change it to a combat alert operation. In the TNI, in Natuna there is a sea combat alert operation, now if there is a land combat alert operation here, that means it will be increased,” he said in a press conference, Tuesday (18/4).
Yudo hopes that through the increase in operational status it will build combat instincts for TNI soldiers who are tasked with fighting the KKB.
Nevertheless, he ensured that territorial operations and law enforcement would also be carried out by the TNI-Polri. He said that territorial operations have often been carried out by TNI-Polri personnel in maintaining security in Papua so far.
Previously, TNI soldiers from the Infantry Battalion Task Force R 321/GT Pratu Miftahul Arifin died after being attacked by a KKB in the Mugi-Mam area, Nduga Regency, Papua Mountains, Saturday (15/4).
At that time, the task force was trying to rescue Susi Air pilot Captain Philips Mehrtens who had been held hostage by the KKB since early February.
Pratu Miftahul reportedly fell into a ravine with a depth of about 15 meters. Then, when Private First Class Arifin was being evacuated, suddenly the KKB shot another TNI personnel.
In addition, five TNI soldiers are reported to be still missing and are being searched after shooting contact with the KKB.


